Apple introduces an update to Final Cut Pro X, with new editing features for the Magnetic Timeline, support for the revolutionary Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro and a redesigned interface with full support for wide color workflows.
The Touch Bar replaces the keyboard’s traditional function row with a brilliant, Retina-quality Multi-Touch display that dynamically adapts to Final Cut Pro X by putting intuitive, context-sensitive controls right at the user’s fingertips. Apple also released updates to Motion and Compressor.
“This is our biggest update to Final Cut Pro X since we completely redesigned it five years ago,” said Susan Prescott, Apple’s vice president of Apps Product Marketing. “The new version features a sleek interface and adds powerful new editing features that go far beyond what’s possible with traditional, track-based video editing apps; and integration with the revolutionary Touch Bar gives professional video editors a whole new way to interact with Final Cut Pro X.”
Magnetic Timeline 2
With the new Magnetic Timeline in Final Cut Pro X, users can understand their film at a glance with customizable arrangement and color coding of audio clips based on type or “role” — such as dialogue, music and effects. It’s simple to create and assign roles, and give each one a unique color. And in a first for pro video software, users can simply drag to instantly rearrange the vertical layout of their timeline or highlight specific audio roles while editing.
- Assemble shots with ease as clips “magnetically” close up to eliminate unwanted gaps in the timeline
- Clips move out of the way to avoid clip collisions and sync problems
- Automatic color coding makes it easy to identify different types of audio — such as dialogue, music, and effects
- Instantly customize the look of your timeline and focus on specific kinds of audio as you edit
- Integration with the Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro boosts creativity and productivity by dynamically adapting to each task and presenting intuitive controls exactly when and where users need them
- While using Final Cut Pro X the Touch Bar lets users instantly switch between editing tools, adjust audio levels and tap into useful commands for trimming and playback
- It will even display a color-coded, interactive overview of the entire timeline
A redesigned interface streamlines the layout of Final Cut Pro X to optimize screen space for MacBook Pro users, while a darker, flat look puts the focus on the content. Customizable workspaces let users adjust window arrangements for different tasks such as organizing, editing and color grading — even across multiple monitors. Full support for wide color workflows allows users to import, edit and deliver video in standard Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 color spaces or in wide gamut Rec. 2020 color space.
Multichannel Audio Editing
Create a Multicam Clip by automatically syncing up to 64 angles of video using audio waveforms, or choose custom sync options to precisely align footage or photos based on time of day, timecode, or markers.
Color Grading and Masks
Use the Color Correction effect to quickly grade your image, with the ability to simultaneously view up to four separate video scopes.
Additional features in Final Cut Pro 10.3:
- Flow transition creates invisibly smooth jump cuts;
- Remove Attributes allows users to easily delete or reuse select effects across multiple clips;
- Timecode overlay effect and generator allow users to edit with a large view of source timecode;
- Support for ProRes MXF, Panasonic V-Log and export of AVC-Intra;
- Direct video output via Thunderbolt 3 enables high-quality video monitoring on an external display with a single cable
- Motion 5.3 features a sleek new interface with support for wide color workflows and 3D text enhancements that improve the performance and realism of 3D titles
- The new Align To behavior lets users easily connect separate objects to create advanced animations, and Touch Bar support provides easy access to a wide range of interactive tools on the new MacBook Pro
Compressor 4.3 has a new dark look to match Final Cut Pro X and Motion. Enhancements to iTunes Store Package creation let users easily browse, verify and compress packages so they can be delivered to the iTunes Store faster and fully compliant. Wide color support ensures end-to-end color fidelity when delivering files in standard and wide color spaces, and Touch Bar support simplifies common tasks like setting up batches and adding markers on the new MacBook Pro.
Pricing and Availability
Final Cut Pro X 10.3
Free update today for existing users; $299.99 for new users.
Available on the Mac App Store.
Motion 5.3 and Compressor 4.3
Free update today for existing users; $49.99 each for new users.
Available on the Mac App Store.
For more information, visit Apple.com