It’s hard to believe it’s been five years since the introduction of the 5D Mark II as a video capture device. Since that time, many manufacturers have come and gone offering audio solutions for the still camera that dreamed it was a cine camera. This year one of our favorite companies has stepped up to incorporate its own technology into a real audio solution for the DSLR, Azden. Marc Blake, a renowned still shooter in his own right, has recently been receiving more requests for video along with his stills and this means he needed a real audio solution. Azden responded with the FMX-DSLR, which is multi input audio mixer designed specifically for DSLRs. Blake, was so impressed with what he saw, he joined up with Azden to help promote it.
We got a chance to catch up with Marc Blake and Azden to get demo of the FMX-DSLR at DV Expo.
Here’s more about the FMX-DSLR Mixer from Azden:
The all New FMX-DSLR is a Professional Low Noise Audio Mixer for DSLR Cameras. With the same advanced circuitry as our top-of-the-line mixers the FMX-DSLR is designed for the demanding needs of Professional DSLR users. The small, battery operated (4-“AA”) mixer can be attached directly to a camera or tripod with the integral threads. The FMX-DSLR has the following features: AGC switch for noiseless operation, 2 XLR microphone inputs with individual level controls and switchable phantom power, stereo mini jack microphone input, mini jack line level input, stereo mini plug microphone output and headphone output with level control. LED peak level indicators, input return function (RTN) to monitor camera audio and a power switch with power on/low battery LED.
- Frequency Response
- Main and Unbalanced Output: 20-20,000Hz (+0/-1dB)
- Monitor Output: 50-20,000Hz (-1dB)
- Noise Level
- Left & Right Channel: -110dB
- T.H.D.: less than 0.01% @ 1 KHk
- Line/Aux Low setting: Max Input Level +22dBu Max Gain -22dB
- Line/Aux Hi setting: Max Input Level +6dBu Max Gain -6dB
- MIC1/MIC2 Low setting: Max Input Level 0dBu Max Gain 0dB
- MIC1/MIC2 Hi setting: Max Input Level -16dBu Max Gain +16dB
- Phones Output
- 3.5mm Stereo: -3.5dBu (32 ohm load)
- Unbalanced Output (3.5mm) +0dBu (2K ohms)
- 15 hours with phantom power off
- 40mA nominal (Phantom Power Off)
- 80mA maximum (Phantom Power On)
- Weight w/o Battery: 16.6 ounces (470 grams)
- Weight 3.00 lbs
- MSRP: $400.00
For more information about the Azden’s FMX-DSLR mixer, go to their website at azdencorp.com