At ETE2013, I had the privilege of visiting with Eddie Barber, inventor, manufacturer and owner of Barber Tech. In this video, we talked about what I consider to be the “Swiss Army Knife” of camera stabilization: The Steddiepod. In this interview, Barber breaks down all of the different jobs this one device can do and why the Steddiepod is the enemy of not only camera stabilizers but also tripod and monopod manufacturers too.
Here’s more from Barber Tech:
STEDDIEPOD is the redevelopment of a device developed over 20 years ago by multiple Emmy Award winning creator Eddie Barber. Originally designed for “Handheld” ENG cameras, but as we all know cameras were a bit heavy back then (there’s an understatement). Unfortunately, camera operators complained about the weight (you could say; STEDDIEPOD “was ahead of its time”). Well now with the development of very lightweight/High Quality DV cameras, we have reintroduced (and renamed it) the “STEDDIEPOD”. STEDDIEPOD is ideal as a hand held camera stabilizer. You can walk with the STEDDIEPOD and make your shots smooth as silk. Or use is as a monopod. Or to boom up and get a shot over everyone’s heads. Or bottom mounted it makes great Kitty/Doggy/Monkey cam shots. Also as a body camera mount/Ego cam it supports the camera out in front of the operator allowing the operator to shoot him/her self as they walk, talk, dance or perform.
Includes very smooth spring loaded fluid head with dutch tilt and level ball.
(works with cameras up to 6 lbs)*
Swivel Handle helps eliminate left-to-right chatter to give you the ultimate smooth shot.
Weight: 5.03 lbs
Minimum Lens Height: 35 inches
Maximum Lens Height: 77 inches
- Quickly Transition Between Modes
- Handheld stabilizer mode for smooth flying/floating shots
- Body brace mode for maximal handheld stability
- Tripod mode for a height of approximately 32 to 77″
- Boom mode for lifting the camera high over the operator’s head
- “Ego-Cam” mode for mounting the camera on the subject
- Low “Doggy/Kitty/Monkey-Cam” mode for ground level shots
- Monopod mode for a mobile yet grounded set-up
- Point-and-Shoot mode for broad sweeping motions
For more information about the Steddiepod, accessories for the Steddiepod or any of the other products from Barber Tech, go to their website at: www.barbertvp.com