Coming the Sunday after Cinegear Expo, this super affordable class from Marc and Elaine Zicree will “guide you through the soul-crushing, career destroying mistakes that many beginners and even long-term pros often make” and how to avoid them.
Writer-producer-directors Marc and Elaine Zicree have worked in the television and film industry for quite some time, having sold “over 100 teleplays, screenplays and pilots to every major studio and network, including landmark stories for such shows as STAR TREK– THE NEXT GENERATION, DEEP SPACE NINE, THE NEW TWILIGHT ZONE, BABYLON 5, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, FOREVER KNIGHT, SLIDERS, LIBERTY’S KIDS, SUPERFRIENDS, HE-MAN, REAL GHOSTBUSTERS and SMURFS.”
The class will be from 10am to 5pm on Sunday June 7th. While seating is quite limited, they are offering the class to stream online as well. In it you’ll learn the pitfalls of Hollywood and how to avoid costly mistakes that could derail your career. Subjects covered in the class include:
- How to waste time seeking it out – and make sure they’re lacking a pulse.
- How to provide inadequate evidence and be sure to fail.
- How to hand over power to folks who don’t give a damn.
- How to mangle a potentially good relationship.
- How to confuse the roles of agents, managers and attorneys.
- Sure-fire ways to make the script you write fail!
- Great ways to find bad scripts by writers who will give you grief.
- How actors can create characters ranging from invisible to actively annoying.
Cold Calls, Meetings, Pitches and Auditions:
- How to come off like an amateur.
- How to bore and confuse.
- How to blow a meeting – or, better still, trample one that’s going well.
- How to be under-prepared
- How to bring in the wrong allies
- How to alienate potential, long-term connections
- Stuff you can do wrong in a pitch.
- Auditioning so you lose you the role and any possibility of ever being invited back.
- Failing to sell a series using great material.
- Having no clue how the system works.
- How to be sure you mismatch your director to your script
- Creating a budget that assures your project will never sell – or is never finished.
- How to cast to assure the above.
- How to staff up with terrible people.
- How to staff up with wonderful people – and then alienate every one of them.
- How to write up agreements that you will regret to your grave.
- Presenting yourself & your project in ways that send alliances running for the hills.
- How to solicit funds in ways that will get you into really big trouble.
- How to do a crowd funding campaign – that will sink!
- How to be so grasping about credits and points you have nothing to deal with.
- How to be so generous about the above you end up with zip.
- Ways to rationalize not thinking about complex stuff like in-kind, trade agreements, incentives, banks and pre-sales (or other methods that may otherwise save your project).
- How to fail at festivals.
- How to never find a distributor.
- How to find a distributor who will rob you blind and bury your project.
- How to sign a contract that will allow you no recourse for the above.
- How to burn through resources to not only deny promotional materials, but the deliverables which would allow the sale.
- How to convince yourself the benefit of avoiding alternate platforms which may result in more money, larger audiences and an actual career.
- How to embrace the defeatist and the negative.
- Being sure your mentors have failed at what you’re attempting.
- How to suck all the energy out of a room.
- How to stand around waiting to be picked until you die.
Again, the class ‘Avoiding Industry Landmines’ will be from 10am to 5pm on June 7th. To sign up for the class, simply send $25 to Marc@Zicree.com on PayPal. You will then be sent all relevant information.
If you have any further questions, you can email Marc Zicree directly at MarcZicree@gmail.com.