Canon has had a number of exciting developments over the last year. We spoke with Peter Marr on the new Cinema prime CN-E20mm T1.5 L F lens and the 4K XF705 pro camcorder and their place in the Canon family.
- Covers Full Frame and Super 35 sensors
- 11-blade iris
- Focus breathing minimized to virtually zero
- Markings on both sides of the barrel
- Rear markings on an angled surface
- Smooth, stepless 300° focus ring
- Geared manual iris ring
- Shares 114mm front barrel diameter, focus rotation, 36° iris rotation, and focus and iris gear positions with the rest of the CN-E line-up
- Glass construction counteracts temperature induced marking discrepancies
- Dust and water-resistant housing
- Focus markings can be switched to metric labeling if you send the lens to Canon for modification
The Canon CN-E 20mm T1.5 L F Cinema Prime Lens is a manual focus prime lens that covers Full Frame and Super 35 sensor formats. The lens offers a maximum aperture of T1.5, useful when shooting in low light situations or when you want to capture that exceedingly shallow depth of field look. It has an 11-blade iris that provides round, out-of-focus highlights for a natural looking bokeh. The lens barrel features 300° of stepless, smooth rotation from close focus to infinity, giving you a high degree of precision and consistent focus.
The lens features standard cine lens gears and is designed to minimize focus breathing and also has innovative glass construction that counteracts barrel expansion and contraction to avoid temperature-induced marking discrepancies. It’s dual focus, with markings on both sides of the barrel. The rear markings are on an angled surface, making it readable form either side of the camera. It also has a dust- and water-resistant housing to minimize maintenance during normal use.
- 1″ CMOS sensor captures UHD 4K video up to 60 fps and HD up to 120 fps
- 4:2:2 10-bit recording in the highly efficient H.265/HEVC codec
- The sensor and two DIGIC DV 6 processors produce images with shallow depth of field, high sensitivity, and low noise
- Integrated 15x optical, 30x digital zoom lens with 25.5 to 382.5mm (35mm-equivalent) focal range
- 5-axis optical stabilization with Standard, Dynamic, and Powered modes
- 9-blade iris for attractive bokeh looks
- Manual ND filter wheel with ND 1/4, 1/16, and 1/64 settings
- HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and PQ (Perceptual Quantization HDR recording for full color rendition and wide latitude
- Two SDXC memory card slots
- Dual-pixel CMOS autofocus with touch focus on the 4″ LCD panel
- Fine-tune gain during simultaneous HDR and SDR recording
- Canon Log 3 offers wide latitude in post-grading
- Wide Dynamic Range with seamless gradations and minimal blown-out highlights
- Rotatable 4.0″ LCD touchscreen and 0.46″ OLED EVF for accurate viewing
- HDMI 2.0 and 12G-SDI outputs
- Genlock, SMPTE timecode, Ethernet, and remote ports
- Live IP streaming in H.265 or H.264
- Dual XLR inputs, an internal stereo mic, and a mini-jack input offer up to four channels of audio input
- Compatible with the optional RC-V100 remote controller
- Compact, lightweight design is suited for ENG, documentary, and run-and-gun productions
- Wired and Wi-Fi connectivity for FTP file transfers
Canon‘s XF705 4K 1″ Sensor XF-HEVC H.265 Pro Camcorder uses the highly efficient H.265 codec, offering up to UHD 4K60 4:2:2 10-bit capture in a compact, ergonomic form. Its 1″ CMOS sensor and dual DIGIC DV 6 processors provide high sensitivity and low noise for natural-looking images. Camera features include 1080p rates up to 120 fps, 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 outputs, internal ND filters, and dual XLR audio inputs.
The XF705 incorporates a 15x HD optical zoom with up to 30x Advanced Zoom, a nine-bladed iris for rounded highlights, a 4″ touchscreen LCD, and five-axis optical image stabilization. Imaging features include Dual-Pixel Autofocus (DPAF), Wide Dynamic Range Gamma, and both HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and PQ (Perceptual Quantization) HDR recording for impressive latitude.
The camera records to dual SDXC card slots and includes genlock, timecode, Ethernet, and RS-422 ports. On the audio side, the XF705 features four channels of LCPM audio with manual/automatic recording levels, and dual XLR inputs. Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to control the camera’s functions via browser and transfer proxy files. Camera control is also available using the included WL-D6000 remote.
For more on each product, visit their links above or visit USA.Canon.com