To those eagerly awaiting the Blackmagic Design URSA 4.6 sensor upgrade, here’s a bit of sample footage to give you an idea of what’s in store.
The 4.6K URSA sensor will be available in two new models of URSA camera, the URSA 4.6K EF ($4,995) and URSA 4.6K PL ($5,495), as well as the same sensor found in the upcoming URSA Mini. The original URSA has already seen a price drop, though existing URSA owners will be able to purchase the sensor as an upgrade for $1,995 (EF mount) and $2,495 (PL lens mount). From Blackmagic:
The revolutionary new 4.6K image sensor captures 4608 x 2592 pixels and has an incredibly wide 15 stops of dynamic range to deliver images with higher resolution and more latitude than many traditional motion picture film stocks. The dynamic range sometimes even goes beyond what the human eye can see. That means customers can now use URSA to get the most epic cinematic shots with more detail in the shadows and highlights than ever before. Files are recorded as 12-bit lossless Cinema DNG RAW to preserve the maximum amount of image data and quality for color correction and creative grading in applications like DaVinci Resolve. Broadcast quality files can also be saved in Apple ProRes for easy post production workflows with minimum storage requirements.
Blackmagic URSA 4.6K Key Features
- Large high resolution 4.6K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Up to a wide 15 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality PL or EF mount lenses.
- User upgradable design allows customers to upgrade and change the sensor and lens mount.
- Built in dual CFast 2.0 card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as Apple ProRes and compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Support for ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at resolutions up to Ultra HD.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, 12G-SDI monitoring input, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 3 separate built in LCD monitors for camera settings and metadata entry. Large 10 inch fold out screen for full resolution HD monitoring with wide viewing angle and high brightness.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080 HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 up to 60 fps. Supports 4.6K capture up to 120 fps.
- Features liquid cooling system allowing higher frame rates when future sensors support this feature.
- Supports quick release tripod mounts and adding V-Mount and Anton/Bauer mount battery plates.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.
You can find out more on the URSA 4.6K sensor from our NAB interview with Blackamgic’s Tina Eckman here: indieshooter.com/nab-2015-blackmagic-designs-ursa-mini-4-6k-sensor-upgrade
Be sure to also visit BlackmagicDesign.com for more on both the new sensor and upcoming URSA Mini.