Blackmagic CEO Grant Petty announces the new Ursa Mini and a riot ensues…
In exciting news from the opening of NAB, Blackmagic Design has announced the release of the URSA Mini, a “compact and lightweight Super 35 digital film camera that’s perfectly balanced for handheld use.”
The Four URSA Mini Models
The URSA Mini is about half the size of the base URSA camera, with a Super 35 image sensor that captures 4608×2592 and has up to 15 stops of dynamic range. It will be available in both EF and PL mounts, with your choice of 4K or 4.6K sensor. It was designed for
Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO, expressed the URSA Mini as a continuation of the original model. “Building on the phenomenal success of URSA, we’ve miniaturized the camera, included all of the essential tools filmmakers need, and still managed to make it light enough to use all day,” he says. “URSA Mini puts true Super 35 digital film quality in the palm of your hand and is, quite simply, the most exciting camera I’ve ever seen!”
Here’s a snapshot of the URSA Mini’s features:
- Four models with the choice of two sensors, 4.6K or 4K sensor in EF or PL mount.
- Built in dual CFast 2.0 card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Open file formats compatible with popular software, such as CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Support for CinemaDNG 4.6K RAW files and ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at Ultra HD and HD resolutions.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12GSDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in high quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 5 inch foldout 1080 HD touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Optional URSA Mini Shoulder Kit, allowing both tripod and shoulder use interchangeably.
- Built in gyroscope allowing recording of camera pitch, roll and yaw movements when working in RAW.
Blackmagic’s URSA Mini will be available starting in July 2015 with different pricing depending on which model you’re after:
- URSA Mini 4K EF – $2,995
- URSA Mini 4K PL – $3,495
- URSA Mini 4.6K EF – $4,995
- URSA Mini 4.6K PL – $5,495
For more information you can visit BlackmagicDesign.com, or visit them at NAB in booth SL219.