We took a trip to Canon Hollywood to speak with Canon Pro Market Specialist Alex Sax about the Canon 5D Mark IV.
5D Mark IV Features
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100–32000; expandable up to 50–102400 (equivalent ISO).
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in-camera still frame grab* of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
- Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or Live View shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
- Excellent performance — up to 7.0 fps** continuous shooting speed with high-performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
- 61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points, and AF possible at all 61 AF points with many lens + extender combinations effective at f/8.
- 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor helps provide precise exposure metering, helps detect flickering lights and allows for enhanced scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
- Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
- Built-in Wi-Fi®^ and NFC^^ connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
- Built-in GPS^^^ provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code (UTC) via satellites.
Powerful and versatile, the 5D Mark IV does have a bit of a drawback for users of external recorders, such as those from Atomos. While the 5D Mark IV can shoot internal 4K, it will not export 4K through HDMI, limiting the use of such devices. It can be used with 1080p video however. Also, the 4K files themselves are very large and will require transcoding to edit, adding an extra step.
To counter balance this, it is equipped with some other powerful and handy features such as wi-fi control, allowing complete control of the camera through an easy to use app, as well as an incredibly high ISO. It is also one of Canon’s most powerful still photo cameras, producing spectacular images thanks to its powerful sensor.
The 5D Mark IV is available now for $3,499. For more information visit www.USA.Canon.com